Thursday, August 31, 2006

Think you had a bad day?

I just got this email from my buddy Shawn who is a New York City fireman.

--------------------------------------
From: SHAWN ******
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2006 8:20 PM
To: Jimmy
Subject:

what's up? I got to keep this short. We had a building collapse on us at a fire on Sunday. I made it out but two of my friends didn't make it. One kid was only a fireman for one fucking month. This is the second time in 1 1/2 years my firehouse has lost guys so its been pretty shitty. Couple that with the wife on my ass about why I want to be a fireman and, well you get the picture. I'm busy with the funerals for the rest of the week and i'll give you a shout after that.

--------------------------------------
Aside from telling him that you're sorry for his loss and telling him to be safe, what the hell do you even say to that? On my worst day, the stress I have to deal with doesn't even come close to his. The act of running into a burning building (think NYC, not Denver which pales in comparison) when everyone else is running out takes a certain something most do not have and how he stays sane is beyond me. Although he would argue with me -yes, he is that humble- there is nobody better suited for that job than him. He was born to help people in dire need of being helped. As fluffy as it sounds, he cares that much about his fellow man.
Please be safe brother. Thank you for being you.

3 comments:

EverlastingKnowItAll said...

Wow man, so sorry to hear about that. Sadly, this story is not unfamiliar to me.

My sister's husband is a Denver firefighter. His attitude towards things sounds a lot like your friend's, although, he does like to recount stories of "stupid people" to me. ;)

About a month and a half ago, his department lost two guys in a building collapse, just like what your friend described. Although in this case, one of the guys wasn't new, rather he was 4 shifts away from retirement...

Very sad news, I hate hearing when something like this happens. Send my good thoughts to your friend.

flea said...

that's rough, really rough and what do you say? no freaking clue, just be there to listen to him i guess and support him

also send him along my good thoughts and well wishes

send him a case of beer or two would ya! i think he deserves it

mcBlogger said...

I dont really know what to say either, but he certainly deserves some recognition. Just showing up for work makes him a hero.