Friday, September 09, 2005

Shake your booty...it's FRIDAY!!!

First off, today is my Dad's birthday! Happy Birthday DAD!!!

I know I've been slacking on my posts but here's a quick little recap of the week before I kick off the Friday five...

I've been slammed at work lately but that should come as no surprise.

I changed the oil in my truck for the first time since I got it in '02. I don't know when I turned into a yuppy by having the idiots at Grease Monkey do it. When I do it I know it's done right, the filter I install is going to be good and I know I won't eff-up anything else in the process of doing something as minor as changing the oil. In addition, it's cheaper if I do it and I get a sense of accomplishment and pride when it's done (and done right). Plus, I like going back to my roots. I'm a gear-headed computer jockey.

I've heard some really bad things about "Mile Hi Lawn Aeration" this week so I don't think I'm going to use them this year. My Pop's and I talked about it this morning and I think we are going to rent one this year and split the cost. Yet another sense of accomplishment and pride. Can't have too much of that, now can we?

Jackson Lake is now drained and Nebraska and Kansas officially have all my damn water (yet the South Platt is still rather full). I suppose I should be thankful because it's the fist time in about 6 years that we've had water up until Labor Day weekend. Well, guess again...I'm an only child and I'm not thankful...I want more. Damn Jimmy Carter and his stupid water rights bills. I've said it before and I'll say it again, there is no logical reason CO should go without water...ever.

Drum-roll please!!! ....it's the FRIDAY FIVE! Hell yeah...TGIF bebe!

1) What was the first song you remember hearing and enjoying on the radio?
My Mom and Dad always used to listen to the "oldies" station and I'm almost sure it was Elvis' "Trouble" and it went a little something like this...
"If you're looking for trouble
You came to the right place
If you're looking for trouble
Just look right in my face
I was born standing up...and talking back
My daddy was a green-eyed mountain jack
Because I'm evil, my middle name is misery
Well I'm evil, so don't you mess around with me"
I still love oldies and I really dig that song.

2) If you could only listen to five CDs for a year, which five would they be? (Boxed sets can count as one CD. Sigh.)
Nice! Box sets ROCK!
  • The Garth Brooks Box set
  • The Metallica box set
  • The Elvis (the early years) box set
  • The Jimmy Buffett box set (boats bars beaches and ballads)
  • The Frank Sinatra box set
3) What was your favorite year, music-wise?
Wow...that's tough and it probably changes for me on a weekly basis. Probably 1955. Wait, 1993. Naah, prob 1968. Shoot...2005. You get the picture. I'm all over the board.

4) If you could witness one historical music event through all time, what would you pick, and why?
The day rock and roll was born: 1954 - when Sam Phillips found Elvis Presley and he recorded the first rock and roll (rockabilly) song at Sun Studio in Memphis.

5) Do you have a song that never fails to cheer you up? What is it and why does it do that for you?
Just about any "oldie" song (pre-1965) cheers me up. Reminds me of my Mom and Dad. Fats Domino, Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis, Chuck Berry, etc. I find my self singing to them and trying to figure out how I know the words.

2 comments:

M said...

my favorite oldies song is "Sittin on the Dock." It was my solo back in school (I played the piccolo, and my solo was the whistling part.)

my second favorite is "Suspicious Minds" by Elvis. One year at the beach my dad woke us up every single morning by dancing on the bed to that song. It's the mental image I get when I hear it. Hehehe. :-)

Jimmy said...

Blondie: haha! ;o) They put on a GREAT show but I still like their older stuff better. They are too old and mellow now.

Manda: Great song! And that Elvis song is a good song too. He has such a distinctive voice. Great mental image. I have a ton of those too. ;o)