Friday, December 09, 2005

We're not in Kansas anymore Toto

What a wild trip!


Friday night: I got back from Sacto late and was able to spend one night in my bed. Oh, how I've missed my bed.

Saturday: Headed for Palco, Kansas (just outside of Hays) to hunt deer, pheasant and quail. It's a three hundred and fifty mile drive from my front door step so you can imagine how motivated I was to load up the truck (pups in tow) and make that trek. I ended up getting to Hays around 10PM and met Evan, Chris and Rick at the local Wal-Mart where I purchased my tags, licenses, etc. Being legal is important kids...I had to learn that the hard way. We then proceeded to the Sip-n-Spin - a local dance club\college bar in Hays and, like Sacramento, I helped Kansas out with their surplus of Jack and Coke (well, Jack anyway). We closed the place down and headed "home". My friend has a really cool 5th wheel travel trailer with TVs, DVD players, microwave. Yeah, we were roughin' it.

Sunday: We got up late (go figure) and started hunting. There were so many pheasants and quail but the problem was that I couldn't get to them. They were jumping waaay too early. I really was amazed about how many birds they have this year. The sun went down and with just a few birds in my pouch, we all decided to head into town once again to close yet another bar down. I don't know what possessed us to hit the Wal-Mart again on the way home but we did. I decided I was too drunk to walk to so strapped into one of those courtesy electric carts as did Evan. Probably wasn't a good idea that they let us do that. They had four of them and we broke two playing chicken, demolition derby, and just about anything destructive you can do on a cart that goes 3 MPH. The people stocking the shelves really didn't like us when I T-boned Evan's cart into a bunch of stacked boxes and the check-out lady pretty much hated me when I popped a wheelie onto Evan's cart when we were checking out. I couldn't stop laughing though.

Monday: Got up REALLY late (again). Waaaaaaaay too hung-over to hold a shotgun the entire day. Actually, I didn't even want to see the sun. Didn't go out drinking that night.

Tuesday: Hunted all day and got a few more pheasant and quail. Shot a wild turkey (not the drink) and a 2 plus year old pheasant judging by his spurs. The green on his back is gorgeous so I'm thinking of having him mounted.

Wednesday: We picked up two mule bucks (one 5x7 and one 4 point) and a few more birds. Drove back late at night in negative 17 degree weather. My pups were frozen dogsicles by the time I got home.

I've been told the pics are graphic. I must just be immune...I didn't think they were bad.

3 comments:

M said...

drinking and hunting... what a good combination. hehe.... :-)

Jimmy said...

Dweleg: What up kid?!?! Saw your pics from the other night. Looks like you guys had a blast! Where did you find a velvet suit?!?! Now THAT is pimpin’! You're now a part of my blog-roll.

manda: Well, it was more hunting and then drinking. Not drinking + hunting. ;o)

blondie: Aaaaah, c'mon now. They aren't THAT bad.

Jimmy said...

dweleg: True...true. The quest is on.